Click LIKE & follow us on Facebook for recipe updates

COOK WITH LOVE FOR A HAPPY HIM

Singapore home cooking/ baking/ food & recipe blog features more than 500 tried & tested, quick & easy kid friendly recipes with steps by steps tutorial.


Follow us on Instagram: mfa_dingoozatfood


If you're a company looking for possible collaboration, feel free to send me a message via Miki's Food Archives Facebook Fan Page or email to miki9mak@gmail.com


Search This Blog

Wednesday 25 February 2015

Basic Swiss Roll with Mild Coconut Flavor 简易椰香蛋糕卷


This was my 2nd attempt making swiss roll. My first attempt was the giraffe pattern swiss roll  . 


Click here for Giraffe Pattern Swiss Roll recipe

Looks good right? But, it was a failure because when I rolled the cake, the bottom crack. Since then, I was wondering how to roll the cake to make the perfect roll. Should I roll it while it's still hot? or wait for it to cool completely first? or anything to do with the recipe?

Now I know.... This time, I don't use swiss roll recipe. I modified the ogura cake recipe. I used self raising flour instead of cake flour/ top flour. Don't need to beat the egg yolk batter, just mix with a hand whisk until well combined. This way, the cake would turn out more springy but the texture remain soft. When the cake is ready, roll up while it's still warm, do not wait until completely cooled. Is this recipe foolproof? I'd say YES if you whip the egg whites at the right 'stage'. Enjoy!



Ingredients:



If you are sharing this recipe, kindly attach the link to this blog instead of screen capture/ copy & paste/ use in your blog and claimed as your recipe! Thank you.

如果您要分享此食谱,请联系这个部落格的相关链接。敬请不要复制或改篇为自己的食谱。谢谢!

Egg Yolk Batter:

3 Egg Yolk
1 Egg
50g Self Raising Flour
48g Coconut Oil 


Meringue:

3 Egg White
60g Castor Sugar

Filling: 
Whipping Cream or ready-to-use whipped cream 


I didn't plan to bake swiss roll today, so I just used whatever available in my fridge for the swiss roll filling.

Toppings:
Icing Sugar

Method:

Preheat Oven 180'C.

1. In a bowl, mix together all the egg yolk batter ingredients with a hand whisk. Do not beat, just mix until well combined. Make sure there's no more lumps in the batter. Set aside.



2. In a stand mixer, whisk the egg white until foamy. Gradually add in sugar and beat until stiff peak but not dry. 


This is a very quick recipe. Preparation time is about 10-15 minutes only. I made this when my pup taking his nap. :D




3. Pour the egg yolk batter into meringue. Use a hand whisk, mix in one direction until well combined. Do not over mix the batter. Use a spatula, scrape the bottom and side. The final batter should look like this...as shown in this picture.



4. Pour the batter onto a lined swiss roll tray (23cm x 32cm). Gently tap 2-3 times on the worktop. Bake in a preheated oven for 20-25 minutes (baking mode).



5. Remove from oven. Let it cool for 5 minutes. 




6. Place a baking sheet on top of the cake, flip over the cake, remove the existing baking sheet. I ran out of baking sheet today, so I used the same baking sheet to roll the cake. :)



7. Roll up gently while the cake is still warm. 




8. Leave it to cool.



9. When it's completely cooled, unfold the cake.




10. Add filling. You can use any whipped cream of your choice. 

Click on the link for whipped cream recipes:

Vanilla Custard Whipped Cream

Nutella Whipped Cream


I minimized the use of whipped cream.
You may add more cream and some fruits for fillings but adding fruits may make the cake soggy on the next day.

11. Roll up, wrap with cling wrap and keep in the fridge for at least 2 hours.





12. Remove the baking sheet, sprinkle some generous amount of icing sugar on top. Cut and enjoy!








My boy don't like swiss roll but this one, he rated 'very nice!'. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...