Sup Buntut is a very popular dish in Indonesian cuisine. It is originally made of slices of fried oxtail, served in vegetable soup with beef broth. It contains boiled potatoes, carrots, tomatoes, leek, celery and fried shallots. The main spices used to season the soup is nutmeg and clove along with fried shallots that enhance the flavour of the soup.
I normally don't fry the oxtail as I simplified the cooking method by boiling the oxtail until the meat is tender. Cooking for young children, I always opt for no-fry method. And, this method produce very tender and juicy meat.
There are 2 ways to get this done:
1. Use conventional pot to boil the oxtail. Click here for recipe.
2. Use pressure cooker to cook the oxtail. Cooking time is shorten from 4 hours to 45 minutes to tenderise the meat. The meat is so tender, remain juicy and flavourful. And, this is the recipe I'm sharing in this blog.
If you are sharing this recipe, kindly attach the link to this blog instead of screen capture/ copy & paste/ use in your blog and claimed as your recipe! Thank you.
2-3 Carrots (peeled and cut into chunks)
1 Potato (peeled and cut into chunks)
Some Chopped Spring Onion
1 Red Onion (Diced)
2 Shallot (Diced)
Dash of Ground Nutmeg
Some salt to taste
Spring onion/ Coriander
1. Wash the oxtail. Immerse in hot boiling water for 5 minutes. Drain, place the oxtail in the WMF Perfect Pro 4.5L pressure cooker.
2. Add 1 litre of hot water. Close with the cover and set the knob to 2. Use medium heat until the cooking indicator rises to 2nd orange ring.
3. Reduce heat to low and let it cook for 45 minutes. Mean while, heat oil in a skillet, stir fry (A) until fragrant, add in (B). Turn off heat and set aside.
4. When the cooking is over, turn off the heat. Wait until the indicator (orange ring) go down or until there's no more pressure, turn the knob to unlock.
5. The oxtail meat should be tender by now.
8. Garnish with fried shallots and coriander/ spring onion and serve warm with steamed rice.
|We had this for lunch, served with steamed rice.|
|Served with macaroni for dinner. Look closely and you'll see how tender is the meat ;)|