This is the bread that I like MOST! It's my family all times favorite :) I used Water Roux (TangZhong) method. It's very time consuming, but worth the effort and time spent. Trust me, you will never regret making this. The bread is soft and super delicious. Ohh, don't ask me 'will they stay soft for 3 days?'... I will never know.... because my Polo Bun always finished within 24 hours. :)
Other's Polo Bun Recipe:
Hong Kong Polo Bun, baked without oven, Tefal Actifry Method
Cute Little Turtle Pork Floss Polo Bun
If you are sharing this recipe, kindly attach the link to this blog instead of screen capture/ copy & paste/ use in your blog and claimed as your recipe! Thank you.
To prepare TangZhong/ water roux:
25g Bread Flour
1/2 cup or 120ml Water/ Milk
1. Put flour into a saucepan. Stir in water/ milk, mix well until no more lumps.
2. Cook with low heat, continuous stirring until it's thicken and when stir with the spoon to the bottom, the line appeared, as shown in the picture below.
3. Remove from heat. Transfer to a bowl and cover with cling wrap. Set aside to cool. This will make about 120g of TangZhong.
To Prepare Polo Crust Dough: (For 6 buns)
30g Butter (Cold, cut into small cubes)
35g Icing Sugar (can be increased to 45g for sweeter crust)
60g Cake Flour
2 tsp Milk Powder
12g Egg (Lightly Beaten)
1. Sift icing sugar, cake flour and milk powder into a bowl.
2. Add in cold butter cubes, mix with hand.
3. Add in egg, form a dough. DO NOT over knead the dough.
4. Shape into a flatten ball, wrap with cling wrap, chill in the fridge at least 30 minutes. The weight of the dough is about 125g-130g.
To Prepare Bread Dough: (Make 6 buns)
175g Bread Flour
40g Castor Sugar
5g Milk Powder
1 tsp Instant Dry Yeast
28g Egg (lightly beaten)
60g TangZhong/ Water Roux
15g Unsalted Butter (Softened to room temperature)
1. In a mixer bowl, mix (A) ingredients. Make a well, add in (B) except butter.
2. Mix all ingredients. When all ingredients come together, knead in butter. Continue kneading until the dough passes the membrane test.
|The dough is 'elastic' at this stage|
4. Deflate and divide dough into 6, about 60g each. Let it rest for 15 minutes. Knead each dough into ball shapes. (Optional: add some butter in the dough for more buttery bun).
5. Remove the crust dough from fridge. Divide into 6, cover with cling wrap, use a plate, flatten the crust dough and place the crust dough onto the bread dough. Use a pizza cutter/ knife, slit some pineapple's pattern on top.
6. Place on the lined baking tray. Let it proof double in size, about an hour.
7. Egg wash and bake in a preheated oven 180'C for 15-20 minutes.