Dang Shen is one of the must-have ingredients when cooking Chinese herbal soup. I used it in steamed chicken (click here for recipe) and soups the most, it adds sweetness to the food without any unpleasant herbal smells. Here are some of the health benefit for adding these precious roots in our daily food:
Codonopsis Root ( Dang Shen ) health benefits:
• Stimulates nervous system, improves immune system.
• Increases red blood cells, white blood cells.
• Improves the function of macrophages.
• Enhances blood coagulation.
• Raises blood sugar.
The method that I'm sharing here is pressure cooker method. If you do not have a pressure cooker, just boil and simmer for 2 hours in a conventional pot. If cooking in a slow cooker or double boil, cook for 4 hours.
If you are sharing this recipe, kindly attach the link to this blog instead of screen capture/ copy & paste/ use in your blog and claimed as your recipe! Thank you.
1 Black Chicken (skinless)
2 sticks Dang Shen
1 slice Ginger
5 Seedless Red Dates
800ml Hot Water or until 1/3 full, just enough to cover all the ingredients)
20g Dried Longan
Salt (add to taste, optional)
1. Wash the chicken, immerse in hot boiling water for 5 minutes. Discard the water.
4. Use medium heat until the cooking indicator rises to the 1st orange ring.
5. Reduce heat to low and let it cook for 30 minutes.
6. When the cooking is over, turn off the heat. Wait till the indicator (orange ring) go down or turn the knob to lock/unlock to release pressure. When there's no more pressure, open the cover.
7. Add (B) and some salt to taste. Repeat step 3 to 5, cook for 15 minutes. Continue with step 6.
8. Serve warm.