Click LIKE to receive recipe updates on Facebook

COOK WITH LOVE FOR A HAPPY HIM

Singapore home cooking/ baking/ food & recipe blog features more than 400 tried & tested, quick & easy kid friendly recipes with steps by steps tutorial.



Friday, 23 October 2015

Pandan Kaya/ Layer Cake 斑斓咖央层蛋糕 (中英文食谱)



Pandan Layer Cake, my all times favourite since childhood days. My whole family love this cake. And, that's the reason, I swear, I MUST learn to bake a successful one and hopefully I have a chance to make this for my parent and sisters. 

My first attempt was few months back in July 3, 2015. I followed a recipe shared by 东燕东燕. Here's a photo of it.....



This was the failed pandan layer cake that I made in July 3, 2015. My first attempt that failed badly. 

I had been thinking all these while why I failed making this cake. And, I finally find out the reason why I failed at the first attempt:

1. Cake batter - yolk portion turn out too dry, can't fold with whites, turned out lumpy. First batch of cake batter were thrown away. 2nd batch, I added some milk in the yolk batter, finally turned out nice. As shown in the picture.

Reason: Probably is because the original recipe calls for plain flour, but I used Top Flour. However, after the SOS on the 2nd batch, the cake turned out nice and yummy!


2. Kaya Layer - Thickened and hardened too fast. Thus, I can't smoothened the kaya layer of my cake. 


Reason: The original recipe says to turn off heat once the kaya thickened. Once remove from heat, the mixture turned lumpy.


This time, I didn't follow exactly the original recipe. I made it my own way that I had learnt from my previous experience. Hopefully my method here would help some of my readers and Pandan Layer Cake lovers to bake a successful Pandan Layer Cake ;)







Here's the cake recipe from 东燕东燕:
蛋糕食谱:

(A)

4 Egg White 蛋白 4 个

40g Castor Sugar 幼糖 40克

1/4 tsp Cream of Tartar (I omit this) 塔塔粉 1/4小匙(我没放)


(B)

4 Egg Yolk 蛋黄 4个

30g Castor Sugar 幼糖 30克

40g Oil 油 40克

50g Milk 鲜奶 50克

110g All Purpose Flour 面粉 110克 

(我改用Top Flour,蛋黄的面糊会比较干,需要加多一点鲜奶)
(I used Top Flour, the yolk batter turned out too dry, need to add some milk before fold in the whites)



Method:

1. In a bowl, whisk yolk and castor sugar until pale and thick. Stir in oil and milk, sift in flour. Mix until well combined. Set aside.

将蛋黄和糖打发,加入油和鲜奶,搅拌均匀。再筛进面粉,搅拌均匀。

2. Whisk egg white (and cream of tartar if using) until frothy, gradually add in sugar. Continue to beat until stiff peak. 

将蛋白(和塔塔粉,如果有用)打至起泡,慢慢加入幼糖。打至硬性发泡。

3. Fold into yolk mixture in 3 batches. Pour into a lined 7" square baking tin. Bake in a preheated oven 150'C about 50 minutes.

用刮刀,分三次把蛋白轻轻搅入蛋黄糊。把面糊倒入蛋糕模,放进预热好的烤箱,烘150度50分钟。每个烤箱不同,温度自己拿捏。


4. Remove from oven, invert and let it cool completely. 

烘好后,把蛋糕倒扣。


5. Slice the cake and set aside.

待凉后,切片。待用。

If you are sharing this recipe, kindly attach the link to this blog instead of screen capture/ copy & paste/ use in your blog and claimed as your recipe! Thank you.

如果您要分享此食谱,请联系这个部落格的相关链接。敬请不要复制或改篇为自己的食谱。谢谢!


Here's my version of Kaya Layer...

咖央层做法:

Ingredients: 

490g Coconut Milk 椰浆 490克

510g Pandan Juice + Water 斑斓汁加水 510克

(I blend a bunch of pandan leaves with 1 1/2 cups of water, then add water to make up this amount.)

150g Sugar 幼糖150克

8g Agar-agar Powder 燕菜粉 8克

100g Mung Bean Powder (Hun Kwee Flour) 绿豆粉 100克


1. In a large bowl, mix together coconut milk and pandan juice + water. 

将椰浆和斑斓水混合均匀。

2. Transfer 300ml of mixture into another bowl. Stir in Mung Bean Powder (use a whisk), until well combined. Strain and set aside. 

取300克放在另一个碗,加入绿豆粉。搅拌均匀,过筛。待用。

3. Pour the remaining 700ml of mixture into a pot. Add in sugar and agar-agar powder. Heat up with medium-high heat (level 7 for induction) , stir constantly and bring to boil. This step is crucial, make sure the agar-agar powder are fully dissolved.

将剩余的700克斑斓椰浆水倒入锅,加入糖和燕菜粉,用中火煮滚。必须不停搅拌,一定要煮滚。

4. Reduce heat to medium-low (level 4 for induction), stir in the mung bean mixture. Keep stirring until you get a smooth paste.

转中小火,加入绿豆粉浆。不停搅拌,煮至浓厚。

5. Reduce to low heat (level 2 for induction), use a ladle, scoop out the mixture and layer the bottom of a lightly greased baking tin. Smoothen the top with a spatula.

转小火。把蛋糕模涂一层薄薄的油,先倒下一层咖央在底,铺上一层蛋糕。

6. Place a layer of cake on top, follow by another layer of kaya mixture. Repeat for the rest. 

重复步骤5至完成。

7. Let it cool, cover and keep in the fridge. 

待凉后盖好放进冰箱。






8. To serve, remove the cake from the fridge. Use a spatula, scrape the edges around the cake. Place a large cake board/ plate on the baking tin, secure with 2 hands, turn it upside down. Well, by default, the cake will come out nicely ;) 

蛋糕冷却后,倒扣即可。

Note: 

1. Many were asking for the recipe when I shared the photo on Facebook but I didn't share the recipe on the same day because this is the first time I use this ratio of coconut milk, water and agar-agar powder to make the kaya layer, I need to observe if it would stay as it is for days. Now I can ensure you, this pandan layer is a successful one! Now is the 3rd day, I still have one slice of cake left in my fridge, still looking good and taste good :)


2. Pandan Layer Cake isn't an easy-to-bake cake. Do needs lots of patience and watch closely on every steps. Good luck to all of you! Enjoy baking! 







Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...