Easy snow skin mooncake with no shortening, no Gao Fen. This recipe yield soft and moist Pandan Custard Snow Skin Mooncake, everything made from scratch.
|Pandan Custard Snow Skin Mooncake|
This picture was taken before chill, the colour was darker green.
My childhood favourite festive food was snow skin mooncake. Every year, my mom would make a small batch of snow skin mooncake. I would sit by her side and wait for the snow skin to be ready. That waiting time was killing me. Her recipe was the traditional method, using Gao Fen (ready-to-use cooked glutinous rice flour) mix with oil, sugar, banana essence and water then let the dough rest for many hours (I don't know how long) before she assemble the mooncake. So as a junior foodie, I will watch the dough for her and while watching, I would grab some dough to "test" (actually I tasted) the texture for her. When the dough is elastic, it's ready.
My hubby and son don't eat snow skin mooncake, not even a slice. There was a time I bought one big pack of Gao Fen, made one batch of snow skin mooncake to satisfy my crave, the leftover Gao Fen kept till expired and thrown away...all wasted. Therefore, now I don't make snow skin mooncake with Gao Fen. This recipe use a mixture a flour, mix and steam to get the chewy and soft texture. Very similar to Daifuku/ mochi recipe, added pandan and coconut flavour with my favourite creamy custard fillings, these are so yummy!
2 tbsp Glutinous Rice Flour (for dusting) 糯米粉 2汤匙 （手粉）
1x 50g Mooncake Mould 50克的月饼模具
Pandan Snow Skin Dough: 班兰/香兰冰皮材料
15g Pandan Leaves 班兰/香兰叶 15克
100g Milk 牛奶 100克
25g Glutinous Rice Flour 糯米粉 25克
20g Rice Flour 粘米粉 20克
10g Wheat Starch 澄面粉 10克
30g Icing Sugar 糖粉 30克
15g Coconut Oil 椰子油 15克
Creamy Custard Filling: 奶黄馅材料
5g Custard Powder 卡士达粉/ 吉士粉 5克
30g Wheat Starch 澄面粉 30克
5g Cake Flour 低筋面粉 5克
55g Milk 牛奶 55克
15g Salted Butter 牛油 15克，用含盐的味道甜而不腻
30g Castor Sugar 细砂糖 30克
1 Egg 鸡蛋 1粒
If you are sharing this recipe/ blog content, kindly attach the link to this blog instead of screen capture/ copy & paste/ use in your blog. No parts of the content of this blog may be reproduced without prior written permission. All rights reserved. Thank you.
1. Prepare cooked flour for dusting: 准备手粉
Microwave method: Cook 2 tbsp glutinous rice flour in microwave (800W) for 1 minute. Stir and cook 30 seconds. Stir and cook another 30 seconds. Remove from microwave and set aside. If cooking more flour, increase the cooking time.
Stove top method: Fry fry the glutinous rice flour in a pan over low heat until slightly yellowish.
2. Blend pandan leaves and milk in a blender, extract 90g pandan milk.
3. Mix all pandan dough ingredients in a bowl, pour through a sieve. Steam in a hot steamer for 20 minutes.
4. Remove from steamer, use a pair of wooden chopstick, stir the cooked dough until smooth. If making bigger portion, use a stand mixer. Cover with cling wrap, chill for 15 minutes.
5. Divide dough into 6 portions (25g each), roll into ball.
6. Prepare creamy custard filling: 奶黄馅做法
Heat milk and sugar in a saucepan over low heat until sugar fully dissolved. Turn off heat, sift in all flour, mix well. Add egg and butter, cook over low heat, stir constantly until the paste is smooth and glossy. Remove from pan, cover with cling wrap and chill for 30 minutes. Divide the paste into 6 portions (25g each), roll into ball. Freeze for 15 minutes.
7. Assemble mooncake: Wrap in fillings, roll into ball, dust with some cooked flour. Use a mooncake mould, shape and imprint designs.
8. Put in mooncake case/ air-tight container, chill at least 3 hours before serve. This snow skin mooncake is very soft and fragrant. Best consumed within 3-5 days.