Chilli crab has been promoted by The Singapore Tourism Board as one of Singapore's National Dishes, and can be found in seafood restaurants all over the island. A seafood dish that loved by the locals as well as tourists. Mud crabs are commonly used and are stir fried and simmered in a flavourful, savoury sweet tomato and chili based sauce. Despite its name, chili crab is not a very spicy dish. The gravy is best eaten with steamed or deep fried bun (mantou).
Cooking Chili Crab at home is never easy if you prepare everything from scratch because the gravy required a little bit of many kinds such as galangal, ginger, lemongrass stalk, candlenuts, dried chilli, red finger chillies, chilli padi, shallots etc. My cooking is always simple, so this recipe that I'm sharing is super easy for home cooks to replicate this dish at home.
|This is best eaten with your fingers!|
This is the wok that I used to cook crab or any seafood that may scratch my non stick pan. It is a flat based 30cm multiply stainless steel wok without chemical coating, which is safe to be used in any cooking and it's perfect for stir-frying crab.
600g Crab 螃蟹 600克
70g Chili Crab Paste 辣椒螃蟹酱 70克
1 tbsp Sugar 细砂糖 1汤匙
1/2 tbsp Light Soy Sauce 酱油 1／2 汤匙
65g Tomato Sauce 茄汁 65克
300g Hot Water 滚水 300克
1 Egg (lightly beaten) 鸡蛋 1粒，打散
1 tbsp Corn Flour 玉米粉／粟粉 1汤匙
2 tbsp Water 水 2汤匙
Some oil for cooking 油 适量
If you are sharing this recipe/ blog content, kindly attach the link to this blog instead of screen capture/ copy & paste/ use in your blog. No parts of the content of this blog may be reproduced without prior written permission. All rights reserved. Thank you.
1. Add some oil in Song Cho Ideal Wok, heat the wok on low heat. Add in chili crab paste, stir fry until fragrant.
2. Add in crab, stir fry for 1 minute. Add in sugar, light soy sauce, tomato sauce and hot water, bring to a boil. Simmer for 5 minutes.
3. In a bowl, mix together corn flour and water. Set aside.
4. When the crab is cooked, stir in (3) to thicken the sauce.
5. Stir in beaten egg and turn off heat immediately. Garnish with coriander and serve.