In Singapore and Malaysia, Marmite is widely used for cooking pork ribs, chicken, prawns and crabs in hawker stalls and restaurants. It's especially popular in Malaysia, you can find Marmite dishes in almost every Tze Char stalls. (Tze Char 煮炒 is a term commonly used to describe a wallet friendly, home style cuisine from Chinese stalls that serves a wide variety of ala-carte dishes.)
Marmite has an intense flavour that is pungent, salty with a hint of sweetness and it works beautifully with meat dishes especially pork with fat. By adding Marmite in the marinade, it helps to reduce the 'porky smell'. It's a great way to add a deep, rich savoury quality to the recipe.
Crispy Marmite Pork Belly
280g Pork Belly 花腩肉 280克
Some cooking oil for deep frying 油 适量
2 tsp Marmite 妈蜜 2 小匙
1/2 tbsp grated Shallot 小葱头（磨碎）1/2 汤匙
1 tsp Shao Xing Hua Tiao Wine 绍兴花雕酒 1小匙
1 1/2 tsp Concentrated Chicken Stock 浓缩鸡汤 1 1/2 小匙
1/4 tsp White Pepper 胡椒粉 1/4 小匙
1 tsp Sesame Oil 麻油 1小匙
1/2 tsp Sugar 细砂糖 1/2 小匙
4 tbsp Self Raising Flour + 2 tbsp Rice Flour (mix to combine)
自发粉 4 汤匙 ＋ 粘米粉 2 汤匙（混合）
6 tbsp Tempura Flour 天妇罗炸粉 6 汤匙
If you are sharing this recipe, kindly attach the link to this blog instead of screen capture/ copy & paste/ use in your blog and claimed as your recipe! Thank you. 如果您要分享此食谱，请联系这个部落格的相关链接。敬请不要复制或改篇为自己的食谱。谢谢！
1. Wash and dry the pork belly with kitchen towel, skin removed. You may slice it into 4pcs (about 7cm x 2cm each) or slice it small (about 3cm x 1cm) to serve on skewer with fruits.
将花腩肉洗净抹干，去皮。切成4片（7cm x 2cm）或切小（大概 3cm x 1cm) 。
2. Mix marinade ingredient (A) in a bowl, pour the marinade over the pork belly and mix well. Cover with cling wrap and keep in the refrigerator, marinate for 4 hours or preferably overnight.
3. Remove the marinated pork belly from the refrigerator, let it sit on the counter for about 30 minutes, this will bring the pork belly up to room temperature.
4. Heat oil in a pan, meanwhile generously coat the pork belly with (B). When the oil temperature reaching 175'C, add in pork belly and fry until cooked.
5. Drain the pork belly on a cooling rack and let it cool for 10 minutes. Heat oil to 200'C, deep fry the pork belly until crisp and golden brown. Remove and drain the excess oil before serving.
Serving suggestion: Slice and serve as side dish or serve on skewer with fruits.
Some feedback from those who have tried this recipe:
|By Vernice Tan|
|By Vernice Tan|