Nyonya style chicken stew with potatoes aka Ayam Pongteh is a Melaka dish cooked in fermented soy bean sauce. This is a homey dish originally added gula melaka for the sweetness and aroma.
The recipe that I am sharing here is customised for my son who only likes gula melaka in dessert but not in savoury dish. So this recipe is without the use of gula melaka. However, you can substitute the sugar amount with gula melaka to yield the more flavourful and authentic ayam pongteh dish.
|This is one of our favourite dish. My son can finished eating everything on this tray in no time!|
This dish is best to pair with a bowl of warm rice. The gravy is truly palatable!
Ingredients: Yield 2 servings
360g Chicken 带骨鸡肉 360克
2 Potato (peel and cut into chunks) 马铃薯 2粒，去皮，切块
9 cloves Garlic (minced) 蒜头 9 瓣 ，剁碎
1 Onion (minced) 洋葱 1粒，剁碎
25g Soy Bean Paste 豆酱 25克
1 tbsp Oyster Sauce 蚝油 1汤匙
1/2 tbsp Dark Soy Sauce 黑酱油 半汤匙
1/2 tbsp Sugar/ Gula Melaka 细砂糖／椰糖 半汤匙
3 large Shiitake Mushroom (cut into chunks) 香菇 3棵，切块
250ml Water 水 250克
3 tbsp Cooking Oil 油 3 汤匙
If you are sharing this recipe, kindly attach the link to this blog instead of screen capture/ copy & paste/ use in your blog and claimed as your recipe! Thank you.
1. Heat oil in a pot, add potato, pan fry until half-cooked. Dish out and set aside.
2. Use the remaining oil in the pot, cook garlic and onion until fragrant.
3. Add in bean sauce, cook until fragrant.
4. Add in chicken, stir fry until the chicken are half-cooked.
5. Add in mushrooms and potatoes, mix well.
6. Add in sauce, sugar and water. Bring to boil.
7. Reduce to low heat, cover and cook for 25-30 minutes (stir 2 times in between cooking) until the potatoes are tender and the gravy is thickened. Remove from heat, serve warm with steamed rice. If you like my recipe, click here, LIKE & FOLLOW my facebook page to receive more recipe updates. Don't forget to change the setting to 'SEE FIRST' if you wish to see my post on your Facebook news feed. Enjoy!