|Photo updated: 8 August, 2017|
This is a very popular dish in Chinese cuisine and it's especially famous in Taiwan. Many Chinese family knows how to cook this at home because it's as simple as 1, 2, 3.... The name 'Three Cup Chicken' tells the recipes: 1 cup soy sauce, 1 cup rice wine and 1 cup sesame oil for 1 chicken. Sounds easy right? But it took me quite some times to get the taste right.
I have tried a few attempts with chicken and pork. Followed the original recipe each cup of everything. Indeed not exactly 1 cup, I only followed the ratio but it turned out too salty and the taste....simply short of 'something'.
After adjusted the sauce, very much closed to the original ratio but I reduce the soy sauce by adding some sweet soy sauce, which also works by adding sugar but I like the sweet soy taste. Did I said the taste is lack of 'something'? Yes, I fixed it with Shao Xing Hua Tiao wine. The rice wine version is less fragrant compared to the Shao Xing Hua Tiao version.
Now I am satisfied with my version of Three Cup Chicken. Yes, I know what's in your mind, how about the Three Cup Pork recipe? .....Well, I can ensure you that this three cup goes a lot better with chicken than pork!
|Three Cup Pork|
|Three Cup Chicken cooked in a wok. Using chicken legs.|
Photo updated September 6, 2016
|Added some Huiji Waist Tonic in this three cup chicken dish to enhance the taste and nutrition.|
Adjusted the recipe - use rock sugar instead of sweet soy sauce to yield the glossy finish.
Taste wise, absolutely delicious! Click here for recipe >>
Photo updated 6 May 2017
12 Chicken Mid-Joint Wings (about 520g) 鸡中翼 12 个
6 cloves Garlic 蒜米 6 粒
8 slices Ginger 姜 8 片
Handful of Basil Leaves 九层塔，适量
2 tbsp Sesame Oil 麻油 2 汤匙
1 1/2 tbsp Soy Sauce 酱油 1.5 汤匙
2 tbsp Shao Xing Hua Tiao Wine 绍兴花雕酒 2 汤匙
2 tbsp Sweet Soy Sauce 甜酱油 2 汤匙
(can be replaced with rock sugar + soy sauce, add to taste 可改用冰糖＋酱油调味）
1/2 tbsp Dark Soy Sauce 黑酱油 半汤匙
Mix a pinch of corn flour with water (optional) 少许玉米粉加水勾芡，可以不放
If you are sharing this recipe, kindly attach the link to this blog instead of screen capture/ copy & paste/ use in your blog and claimed as your recipe! Thank you.
1. Heat sesame oil in a skillet. Be careful not to burn the oil.
2. Add ginger slices, cook for few second, add the garlic. When the oil is bubbling, add in chicken mid-joint wings.
3. When the bottom of the chicken wing is slightly brown, flip over and continue to cook until both sides are slightly brown.
4. Add in all the sauce ingredients. Cover and let it simmer for 1 minute.
5. Remove the lid, add in basil leaves and stir in corn starch, if using. The corn starch is optional, you can omit this and let it simmer a little longer until the sauce is thicken.
6. When the sauce is thicken, remove from heat. Serve warm with steamed rice.
Some feedback from those who have tried this recipe:
|Thanks Yeo Ley-mei for trying my recipe :) . Glad to hear that your family love it.|
|By Mildred Tan|
|By Goh Kai Eng|
|By Joyce Tan|
|By Quek Seok Bin|