Can you believe this was my first attempt deep frying onion rings?
YES, that's true! I never thought of making it even I have this foolproof recipe that I have kept for years until one day my son told me: Mommy, I want to eat onion rings!
When he was back from school, he kept telling me how much he likes the onion rings that he ate at school and he wants to eat it everyday. I thought it was a weird request because he never likes onion! Well, being a lovely mom, I went to the market and grabbed 4 huge onions and fried one of it ...
Here's the verdict:
The hubby ~ old picky eater ~ said this was very nice, up to standard 很有水准, he ate this for lunch and want nothing else...
The son ~ little picky eater ~ said 'Mommy, it's not like this, I want the onion ring without onion'
Well, I then found out that the onion rings that his friend shared with him was the junk food named 'Onion Ring' , speechless LOL.... but still happy with my maiden attempt onion rings!
1 Large Onion 洋葱 1粒
45g All Purpose Flour 面粉 45克
105g Self Raising Flour 自发粉 105克
65g Corn Flour 玉米粉 65克
1/2 tsp Garlic Powder 蒜粉 半小匙
1/2 tsp Dried Parsley 香菜碎 半小匙
1/4 tsp Salt 盐 1/4 小匙， 咸度可自己调。不放也可以，炸好了才撒上盐。
(Optional, adjust according to your taste. You can omit salt in the batter, sprinkle some fine salt before served)
1 Egg 鸡蛋 1 粒
180ml Milk 牛奶 180克
Bread Crumbs/ Panko, enough to coat 面包糠
Cooking oil for frying 油
1. Peel and slice the onion into 1/2 inch slices. Do not wash the onion.
2. In a bowl, lightly coat the onion rings with all purpose flour, shake off the excess. Set aside.
3. Add in all (A). Mix until well combined. Do not over mix the batter. Prepare bread crumbs in another bowl. Set aside.
4. Heat oil in a saucepan to 180-190'C. Meanwhile, dip the onion ring in the batter, follow by the bread crumbs. Do it one at a time, shake off the excess.
5. When the oil is ready, fry the onion rings until golden brown, flip in between to get an even colour.
6. When it's ready, transfer to a lined tray/ rack, drip off excess oil. Sprinkle some pepper, serve with mayonnaise, ketchup, chili sauce or any of your favourite dipping sauce.
If you like my recipe, click here, LIKE & follow my facebook page to receive more recipe updates. If you already LIKED my page but did not see my recipes on your Facebook News Feed, click here, go to my page:
~ select FOLLOWING (next to LIKED)
~ change the setting to SEE FIRST