|Cute Polo Bear Bun ~ created on 24 April 2016.|
Traditional Hong Kong Polo Bun aka pineapple bun is a kind of sweet bun topped with streusel-like crust shaped like pineapple, a very popular snack in Hong Kong and Macau. You can find this in almost every 'char chan teng' / cafe in Hong Kong.
|Traditional Polo Bun|
|My latest creation - Polo Bear Bun, created on 24 April 2016.|
My first batch of Polo Bun was made before I buy my first oven back in year 2014. Baked in an air fryer, made using Tangzhong method. Get the TangZhong (water roux) Polo Bun recipe here.
|My maiden attempt making Polo Bun ~ June 2014, baked in an air fryer.|
This time, I use Flour Gelatinised method because I'm making this to pack in my son's recess snack box, I need soft bread that will never turn hard. This method yield the soft bread that I want, so I do not need to reheat the bread in the morning.
|Packed this cute polo bear bun in my son's snack box. |
The bear head and body are individually filled with cheese and raisin.
My boy is so looking forward to see what he will eat first!
If you like my bento idea, click here, LIKE & follow Miki's Food Archives Facebook Fan Page to receive daily school snack ideas.
Basic Sweet Bread recipe using Alex Goh's flour gelatinised method:
100g Bread Flour 高筋面粉 100克
70g Hot Boiling Water 滚水 70克
~ Mix (A) with a wooden spoon, form a rough dough. Cover with cling wrap, let it cool and keep in the fridge overnight or at least 12 hours. ~
300g Bread Flour 高筋面粉 300克
100g Plain Flour 中筋面粉 100克
80g Sugar 细砂糖 80克
6g Salt 盐 6克
20g Milk Powder 奶粉 20克
9g Instant Yeast 即溶酵母 9克
175g Cold Water 冷水 175克
1 large Cold Egg (60g without shell) 冷鸡蛋 1粒
60g Unsalted Butter (softened) 無盐牛油 60克
1. Mix all (B) ingredients in a mixing bowl, add in (C), mix until well combined. Add in (A), knead until well combined. Gradually knead in (D).
2. Continue to knead until the dough pass the windowpane test. Watch the video if you're unsure what is windowpane test.
3. Transfer the dough to a lightly greased bowl. Cover with cling wrap and let it proof for 1 hour or double in size.
4. Mean while, prepare the polo crust dough: 准备菠萝皮
Polo Crust Dough Recipe(This recipe yield 6 polo bun topping):
30g Butter (Cold, cut into small cubes) 冷牛油 30克，切成小块
35g Icing Sugar 糖粉 35克
60g Cake Flour 低筋面粉 60克
2 tsp Milk Powder 奶粉 2小匙
12g Egg (Lightly Beaten) 鸡蛋 12克，打散
~ Sift icing sugar, cake flour and milk powder into a bowl. Add in cold butter cubes, mix with hand. Add in egg, form a dough. DO NOT over knead the dough. Shape into a flatten ball, wrap with cling wrap, chill in the fridge at least 30 minutes. The weight of the dough is about 125g-130g~
5. When the bread dough is ready, transfer the dough to a floured worktop. Deflate and divide the dough into your desired size. Roll into balls, cover and let it sit for 15 minutes.
6. Shape as desired or click here to learn how to handle the polo curst dough and how to shape the traditional polo bun.
7. Cover with cling wrap and let it proof for 1 hour or double in size.
8. Egg wash and bake in a preheated oven 180'C for 15-20 minutes or until cooked.
9. When it's ready, remove from oven and transfer to a cooling rack. Keep in an airtight container when it's completely cooled.