Chinese believed that soup is essential in daily meals and so am I. Soup is nourishing and rejuvenating, drink it daily you will have better skin complexion and good health. That's what my mom told me and especially Cantonese has a strong believe in this.
Winter melon soup is quite common in Chinese cooking, everyone have their own secret ingredients used to cook this soup. Some likes to add in dried octopus, dried squid, dried shrimps, dried scallops, dried oysters...etc. Do you know what is my secret ingredients used in cooking soup? ..... read all my soup recipes to find out the answer ;)
I have a few version of winter melon soup...
Winter Melon Chicken Soup - click here for recipe
Winter Melon & Barley Soup - click here for recipe
and many more coming soon....
The method that I am sharing in this blog is an EXPRESS method using pressure cooker. If you read my previous blogs, all the soup recipes requires at least 2 hours of continuous boiling/ simmering. I called this express method because the cooking time is only 30 minutes and the result and taste is as good as the soup cooked for 2 hours. To be very frank to you, I never believe a pressure cooker can do this until I have tried it personally.
Ingredients: (Yield 4 servings)
1 thick slice Winter Melon
300g Pork Ribs (trim off the fat)
5 Seedless Red Dates
1 Dried Fig (US)
4 Dried Scallops (soaked and discard the water)
15g Chinese Almond (南杏，apricot kernel)
3 pcs Yu Zhu (玉竹)
1 litre Hot Water
Some Sea Salt or Himalayan Salt (add to taste, optional)
If you are sharing this recipe, kindly attach the link to this blog instead of screen capture/ copy & paste/ use in your blog and claimed as your recipe! Thank you.
1. Wash the pork ribs, immerse in hot boiling water for 5 minutes. Discard the water.
|There's no need to cut the winter melon into chunks. Just use it in whole, with or without skin.|
2. Put all ingredients (except salt) in the pressure cooker. I am using 4.5L WMF Perfect Pro pressure cooker.
3. Close with the cover and set the knob to 2.
4. Use medium heat until the cooking indicator rises to the 2nd orange ring.
5. Reduce heat to low and let it cook for 30 minutes.
6. When the cooking is over, turn off the heat. Wait till the indicator (orange ring) go down or until there's no more pressure, turn the knob to unlock.
7. The soup is ready by now.
8. If you wish to add in salt, add some salt to taste and close with the cover, let the remaining heat dissolve the salt and serve later.