COOK WITH LOVE FOR A HAPPY HIM
Singapore home cooking/ baking/ food & recipe blog features more than 400 tried & tested, quick & easy kid friendly recipes with steps by steps tutorial.
Thursday, 15 October 2015
Sun Cake - Light & Easy Nutella Cotton Cake 太阳蛋糕－Nutella 棉花蛋糕
I baked this a day after I baked the Sun Bread for my son. Here's how the Sun Bread look like...
Click here to read more about Sun Bread story and recipe.
On that night before bedtime, he thanked me for making this Sun Bread for him that he really likes a lot. And, he asked me if I can make a Sun Cake for him.
Before I say anything, he told me it's his pug (the plush toy in the picture) birthday the next day, his pug wants a chocolate cake on his birthday.
Well, although his toys always celebrate birthday, but I don't always bake a real cake to 'play pretend' birthday celebration with him. This time, I did it because he has been good boy lately, so this is more like a reward/ encouragement to him. On that night, I drew a sun picture and hubby helped me to cut and make a sun stencil, specially for this Sun Cake ;)
The weather is hot lately so I don't want to bake dark chocolate cake for him. I bake this moist and soft cotton cake with a mild chocolate flavour from the Nutella. Small one, only 4 eggs, just nice for both of us. Love this!
Ingredients: 6" Cake Pan
35g Salted Butter
50g Hong Kong Flour
3 Egg Yolks
1 Whole Egg
3 Egg White
40g Castor Sugar
1/2 tsp Lemon Juice
If you are sharing this recipe, kindly attach the link to this blog instead of screen capture/ copy & paste/ use in your blog and claimed as your recipe! Thank you.
1. Get all the ingredients ready.
2. This step, must act FAST..... Melt butter in a saucepan. When it's melted, remove from heat and stir in flour, mix well. Set aside and let it cool.
3. Meanwhile preheat oven 170'C. Stir egg yolks, 1 egg and Nutella together. Add in (2) and mix until well combined.
4. Use a stand mixer, whisk egg whites and lemon juice until frothy, add sugar gradually. Continue to whisk until stiff peak.
5. Fold the egg white mixture into egg yolk mixture in 3 batches until there's no streak of egg white.
6. Pour the batter in a lined baking pan. Tap 2-3 times on the table top to release trapped air.
7. Place the baking pan in a larger baking pan. Fill up some hot water in the larger pan (about 1/3), bake in a preheated oven 170'C for 35 minutes, reduce to 150'C for 10-15 minutes.
8. Once it's ready, invert, remove the baking paper and let it cool on the rack.