Just back from a 2 weeks long holiday. I miss my homemade food! I think my boy feel the same too.
Holidaying is fun but...with my super picky eater around, every meal time is a battle! So good to be home that I can make some healthy and nutritious food for him...yeah, my little boy.
My version of steamed Gula Melaka cake is different from those served in the dim sum restaurant. We used to order steamed cake when having dim sum breakfast at Imperial Treasure/ Tim Ho Wan because hubby and me like it but my boy didn't like it at all, not willing to eat a single bit! But, my version here, I do not have problem feeding him. Well, he will feed himself with at least 2 cupcakes at a time. :)
This recipe is modified from my mom's recipe. My mom used to steam cake for us when we were small. Mom used to steam cake in a large bamboo basket lined with mahjong paper. I super like her cakes! Mom's food is always the best of the best!
My steamed cake is always sweeter in taste. For less sweet version, do reduce the sugar accordingly.
Ingredients: Yield 17 mini cupcakes (with 1 ice cream scoop batter in each cup)
If you are sharing this recipe, kindly attach the link to this blog instead of screen capture/ copy & paste/ use in your blog and claimed as your recipe! Thank you.
190g Gula Melaka
4 Pandan Leaves (tied a knot)
15g Condensed Milk
90g Unsalted Butter (Softened)
130g Self Raising Flour
20g Corn Flour
Pinch of Salt
2 tbsp Castor Sugar
1. Add (A) in a saucepan. Cook over low heat, stir constantly until the Gula Melaka fully dissolved.
|Little helper on the job!|
2. Stir in condensed milk. Set aside.
3. Beat egg yolk until thick.
4. In a separate bowl, cream butter.
5. Stir in butter into egg yolk until well combined.
6. Stir in Gula Melaka mixture.
7. Sift in flour and salt. Mix well.
8. In a mixer bowl, beat egg white until foamy. Add sugar gradually and continue to whisk until stiff peak. Fold egg white into egg yolk batter in 3 batches.
9. Scoop the batter and pour evenly in each paper cups. Steam in a hot steamer for 15 minutes.