Red Ruby, one of my favorite dessert! It had been sitting in my 'to do list' for very long because it's quite time consuming and the step that I hate most is.... to peel the water chestnut. However I still make this because I couldn't find the taste that I like (with rose syrup) anywhere in Singapore. I remembered I had it some times back when I was in Kuala Lumpur. Just can't recall which Thai restaurant was that. So my only option to stop my craving is....make it myself. :) hmm....from scratch!
Ingredients: Make 2 servings
If you are sharing this recipe, kindly attach the link to this blog instead of screen capture/ copy & paste/ use in your blog and claimed as your recipe! Thank you.
Some Fresh Jackfruit Slices
To make coconut milk syrup:
(can be reduced for a less sweet version, I like it sweet because my red ruby dessert loaded with ICE, I don't like the diluted tasteless coconut milk)
145ml Fresh Coconut Milk
About 1/3 tsp Salt
1 Pandan Leaf
1. To prepare the syrup, add water and sugar in a saucepan. Use low-medium heat, stir and cook until the sugar dissolved. Remove from heat and let it cool.
2. Add salt into coconut milk, pour coconut milk into syrup. Add pandan leaf. Stir to combine. Simmer in medium heat, keep stirring and cook until the coconut syrup is smooth and thick until 'almost boil' (very hot with steam). Remove from heat. Set aside.
To make RED water chestnut:
130g Water Chestnut (about 12 pcs, peeled and cut into small cubes)
120ml Rose Syrup
1/2 cup Tapioca Flour
Some water for cooking
1. In a bowl, combine water chestnut and rose syrup. Let it soak for 1 hour.
|After 1 hour|
3. Coat water chestnut with tapioca flour thoroughly.
4. Transfer the coated water chestnut into a sieve. Discard excess tapioca flour.
5. In a saucepan, bring water to boil. Stir in coated water chestnut and let it cook about 10 minutes or until the tapioca flour is cook through (turn transparent).
6. In a large bowl, add some ice cubes, water and the reserved rose syrup.
7. When the water chestnut is cooked, drain and transfer to the ice rose syrup water. Drain and transfer to a bowl.
8. To serve, put some ice cubes in a bowl, add water chestnut and jackfruit, pour some coconut syrup. If you like my recipe, click here, follow my facebook page to receive more recipe updates. Enjoy!