Click LIKE to receive recipe updates on Facebook

COOK WITH LOVE FOR A HAPPY HIM

Singapore home cooking/ baking/ food & recipe blog features more than 400 tried & tested, quick & easy kid friendly recipes with steps by steps tutorial.



Friday, 29 August 2014

Malaysian Style Glutinous Chicken Rice..Loh Mai Guy 马来西亚版的糯米鸡




Few weeks ago, a friend of mine posted a photo of the Loh Mai Guy that she enjoyed in Malaysia, my hometown. Yes, we malaysian love the unique local flavor of this food. The very DARK dark soy sauce with the juicy steamed chicken and sticky glutinous rice. My all times favorite but ever since I moved to singapore, I can't get the Malaysian style Loh Mai Guy here. Although I love Singapore food too, but this is taste that I ate since childhood, it's unbeatable!

Ohh...when I saw my friend's post, it was so tempting...and she suggested why not I make my own? Yeah... from that day onwards, I was thinking to make or not to make..undecidable because I worried that my boy may not like it. He is too used to Canton and Japanese food.


Today, after I sent my boy to kindergarten, I had been wandering around in the supermarket about 30 minutes. I had no idea of what to cook for dinner. After 30 minutes shopping I only bought a bunch of bananas...hahaha...what a waste of time...Until I walked to the market and saw the fresh chicken legs...I finally decided to make it today. I was so happy that it was a successful one that my boy likes it a lot. When he first saw the Loh My Guy, he said he doesn't like it, but after one bite, eating non-stop hahaha....



I made 2 today, upsize for myself and a small one for my boy...but I only get to eat half..My boy ate most of it :)



Updated 30 January 2015, I finally have time to draft out this recipe. It's not simple, but worth the time spent! The best thing is...I can prepare this ahead of time. Next time when my boy go primary school, I guess this will be his regular school snack! ;)



Ingredients & Method: (Yield 2 servings)
If you are sharing this recipe, kindly attach the link to this blog instead of screen capture/ copy & paste/ use in your blog and claimed as your recipe! Thank you.

如果您要分享此食谱,请联系这个部落格的相关链接。敬请不要复制或改篇为自己的食谱。谢谢!

To prepare the rice:

100g Glutinous Rice



(A) Seasoning:

1/4 tbsp Dark Soy Sauce

I use this..very DARK dark soy sauce. 

1/2 tbsp Soy Sauce
1/2 tsp Sesame Oil
1/2 tbsp Oyster Sauce
1/4 tsp Salt


1. Wash and soak glutinous rice at least 4 hours or longer. 
2. Drain. Stir in seasoning (A). Set aside.


Ignore the quail egg, that's my boy special request.



To prepare the chicken:



1/2 Boneless Chicken Leg (or less if you don't like it too MEATY, cut into chunks)
2 Shiitake Mushroom (choose smaller one or 1 large mushroom cut into 2)

(B) Seasoning: If you like mild flavor or preparing for young children, reduce seasoning into half

1 tsp Fresh Ginger Juice
1 tsp Oyster Sauce
1 tsp Soy Sauce
1 tsp Dark Soy Sauce
1 tbsp Sugar
1 tsp Sesame Oil

2 Slices Chinese Sausage 腊肠 
2 cloves of Garlic (Finely chopped)
Some Spring Onion (Finely Chopped)
(Optional, the pictures shown in this blog is without spring onion. I forgot to put lol..)
Some oil for cooking
1 tsp Corn Flour (mix with 2 tsp water)



3. Place the chicken chunks and mushrooms in a bowl (Dry with kitchen towels). Add in all seasoning (B) and mix well. Marinate at least 2 hours. The longer, the tastier. I marinate this when I soak the glutinous rice.
4. Heat oil in a skillet, add garlic and spring onion(if using), fry until fragrant. Add in chicken mixture (reserve the sauce). Stir fry until cooked. Add in sauce and corn starch. Mix to combine until the sauce is thicken. Remove from heat.
5. Heat oil in a skillet, add garlic and fry until fragrant. Add in the seasoned glutinous rice. Stir fry until no more sizzling sound (but not crispy!). Remove from heat.




To prepare for steaming:

6. Lightly grease 2 bowls or aluminium foil cups with sesame oil, in each bowl/ cup, place a slice of chinese sausage, 1 mushroom and some chicken chunks as many as you like. Add in seasoned glutinous rice and add hot water (about 70ml each). Steam for 40 minutes or until cooked through.

7. To remove the rice, place a plate on the bowl. Secure both sides and turn upside down. As shown in the pictures below. By default, it will 'drop' out nicely :) Enjoy!






Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...