COOK WITH LOVE FOR A HAPPY HIM
Singapore home cooking/ baking/ food & recipe blog features more than 400 tried & tested, quick & easy kid friendly recipes with steps by steps tutorial.
Tuesday, 15 July 2014
The 'Old Cucumber' Soup (Pork bones base) 老黄瓜汤
Another chinese soup that's good for kids on this hot hot hot day...the old cucumber soup. My version is NO dried scallops or those preserved vegetables in kid's soup because ...that's 'not so healthy' for kids. To add sweetness to the soup, first is to get some fresh and good quality pork bones. And, my secret ingredient: dried fig from US.
Ingredients: (yield 2-3 servings)
250g Pork Bones
1 Old Cucumber
1 Large Fig (snipped a little at the side)
4 Seedless Red Dates
Optional: 2 Yu Zhu 玉竹 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polygonatum_odoratum
Handful of Chinese Almond 南北杏
1. Rinse soup bones with boiling water.
2. Add all ingredients into a pot. Add 1.5 litre boiling water.
3. Cook with high heat for 30 minutes.
4. Cook with low heat for 60 minutes.
5. Add salt. Cook another 30 minutes.